Friday, May 2, 2008

Focus and Life

I am so excited about my new homeschooling toddler blog.  I keep thinking of new things I want to post there.  I am amazed at how intoxicating this whole blogging thing is - I am so dazzled by my self-perceived God-given cleverness that I can share with the world, and it really charges me.  I am so ashamed at this attitude in myself.  Not that I don't really think that God has given me a lot of really good ideas for fun learning activities to do with my toddler, but the problem is that I have subtly shifted my focus away from that which gives me life - the worship of God in the pure GRACE and love of Jesus - and am instead feeding off of my success with my daughter.  I can feel the cloud of heaviness that hovers over my brain as this goes on and on, stealing my alertness to matters of Christ, draining my prayer life, and ultimately leading me down a road in which I move toward being unable to actually write anything worth reading.  Oh, please pray for me!  

The fact of the matter is that there is only one in the world that gives lasting peace and joy and abundant life - God.  "I have come so that you may have life, and have it abundantly," said Jesus.  "My peace I give to you.  I do not give it to you as the world gives it.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not let them be afraid."  "You will keep in perfect peace those whose hearts are stayed on you - in peace because they trust you" (from Isaiah).  

There is no one but God who truly loves me to the point of sending his son to die for me on a cross.  It is him who I should be seeking to please and glorify and honor and delight, not myself and not the world out there that might read this.  I am so thankful for knowing God.  God is the absolute best thing that ever happened to me - better than my husband and daughter, whose goodness I have discovered fully only in and through God.   And so it is back to God that I am turning my attention.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I took a peek at your homeschooling blog - it is great! Thank you so much for sharing our adoption journey with us, and for your recent comment. I appreciated it more than words can say. I also responded to you via e-mail regarding the poetry booklets. GOD bless!