Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Creating Children with God

In Genesis 4:1, Eve gives birth to her first son, Cain, and she says, "I have created man with God."  The Hebrew word for "create" in this verse is the verb Cayana, related to the noun Cayn, or, in our English Bibles, Cain.  Cain is given his name, because, as the story goes, when his mother looks upon him, the first child ever born to a human mom, her mind focuses upon the miracle that she, with God, has created a man.  I don't typically think of myself as my daughter's creator.  I'm inclined to think such a thought is potentially blasphemous.  And yet this verse has made me reconsider the serious roll I am playing in her creation.  Last week she wouldn't lay flat in the swimming pool.  Yesterday she was not only laying flat but kicking and reaching...  because my husband and I had taken her to the pool almost every day this past week.  Every moment of every day I make a decision to stay at home with her, to work with her, to enjoy her, to love her.  When she was in my womb, I carefully monitored my diet for her, and to this day my body continues to give of itself in ever new ways for her sake.  It would be silly for me to think I have had nothing to do with her creation.  And thinking of myself as working with God in her creation helps me to see what I am doing as ministry.    

No comments: